The Form of the Squeak Release [LONGISH]

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Sat Jul 17 17:23:13 UTC 1999

> [snip lots of points about small modular system, pluggability etc]

I'm working on the VM pluggability. I can drastically reduce the amount of
stuff in the 'vanilla' VM and have almost everything (except sockets at the
moment) working as plugins. Aside from anything else it reduces the load of
a port, since you don't have to worry about serial ports, midi, sound,
sockets etc until the basics work adequately.  It also adds a nice
discipline in the design of the VM extensions.
Combined with the ImageSegments to load the image code that uses the
plugins, I suspect we can do rather a lot.

tim

--
Why Dogs Hate WIn95:-  6)  SmellU-SmellMe still in beta test.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)