bug I'm seeing with forked process

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Jul 28 21:19:04 UTC 1999

At 1:59 PM -0400 7/28/99, Stephan B. Wessels wrote:

[snip]
>The application uses a forked process which sits inside a loop waiting for a
>termination condition to exit.  The program is processing a number of HTML
>based
>lists and creating a new dynamic output HTML document as a report.  It's been
>very handy and was simple to write.

Are the HTML based lists being downloaded? I.e., are you pulling them off
the net, or are they just some local files? And is the process forked so
that you can continue working in Squeak in the foreground? Is this Squeak
also, e.g., serving files?

>The peculiar thing is it fails whenever I'm not at my desk.  I suspect it's
>related to something NT is doing while running the screen saver.  I get the
>following message repeating in my console:
>        CreateThread() failed (8) -- Not enough storage is available to
>process
>this command.
>        SetThreadPriority() failed (6) -- The handle is invalid.

This sounds similar to a problem I've had on occasion in Win95 with PWS and
a Swiki (on 2.1). I get a sort of white square in the squeak window with
these sorts of messages (it's been a while so I don't remember precisely).
The circumstances were a *lot* of hits all at once.

You might try keeping a log file to get a better idea of what's happening
at the point of failure.

Oh, you said that it only fails "whenever you're not at your desk". Does
this mean that if you leave for 5 minutes, it's toast? If your screensaver
kicks in for a second, does it go belly up? Is it only overnight that the
problem shows up?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.