AI, intelligent agents and nonesuch

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Sun Jul 4 11:56:12 UTC 1999

Warner,

I am interested in some of these issues. Check out the thread
"some bizarre thoughts on the nature of programming"
in the mailing list archive. I don't know about an OS, but I would
like to see how far and how complex Objects can go with simple rules and
only local interactions with their neighbours. I am also very interested in
what Rod Brooks is doing at MIT with the subsumption architecture. My
suspicion is that you can go a long way with simple objects that communicate
asynchronous events only to their immediate neighbours. This kind of
architecture would probably end up being similar to a cellular automaton or
a neural net. It may have to learn or adapt, but it would display 'emergent'
properties very different from its components.

Peter