Image splitting

Andres Valloud sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Thu Jul 15 16:30:10 UTC 1999

Hi.

I've noticed that the image splitting problem is almost the same problem
I have with my Squeak projects. I do mostly math things. Hence, there is
a lot of math let's say Kernel, consisting of several methods added to
Integer, some to Collection, etc.

On top of that I have Linear Algebra, Caches, Polynomials, Trees, more
Arithmetic stuff, BitStreams (using bit manipulation methods in Integer
and SmallInteger), Functions, and in general A LOT of things. But they
all depend on the kernel. So? Each change set has the kernel dupified
and copied to them each time I want to fileOut something? No! Then what?
A monolithic fileOut nearing 900Kb...

I built my compression project (some 350Kb of source), and it uses
BitStreams, Trees, Caches, some of the kernel objects and classes (like
CollectionProduct, EuclideanRegions, Probabilities, etc), so the
dependency problem grows and grows...

But the worst is the Function Plotter (some 200Kb of source). It uses
Functions, the examples use Polynomials, which reference to scalar
ambients which then reference, by art and magic of class hierarchy, to
other ambients that are proper for Linear Algebra although I don't need
it for the Function Plotters so far, it uses EuclideanRegions too...

What happens is that each project may depend on others, and may depende
more or less on the base system too. So how about adding dependencies to
change sets? In this way, a project is made to be dependant on another
project, and when you file out the first all the dependant change sets
are filedOut too IN THEIR CURRENT STATE, with a date stamp mark.
Problem: perhaps changeset "multiple inheritance dependence" is not
nice? And of course, TSC's changesets are marked "old" and so they're
not filedOut...

Andres.