two more Alice questions

Jeff Pierce jpierce at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 21 07:48:10 UTC 1999

At 03:22 AM 7/21/99, Luciano Notarfrancesco wrote:

>Does Alice support collision detection? or will do?

That depends on your definition of support.  =)  Actors have a
getBoundingBox method, so Alice supports collision detection by making it
possible for you to perform the bounding box overlap check yourself.  The
original (non-Squeak) Alice wraps vCollide from UNC, but I haven't had the
time to do anything of the sort for Squeak-Alice.

>Is there any easy way to record a movie and send it to disk? Recording
>frames would be enough (latter they could be converted to mpg or real video).

I can think of two ways to do this.

1) It's possible to step the scheduler in a Wonderland.  So start your
animations, then pause the scheduler.  Take a snapshot.  Step the scheduler
the desired interval.  Take another snapshot.  Continue until you've got
enough snapshots to compose them into a movie.

Or, much less painfully,

2) There are a number of freeware and shareware (see
http://www.download.com) programs for recording part of the desktop and
generating an AVI or MPEG file.  Personally this is the route I'd try.

Jeff