performance of 2.4 under Linux

Richard L. Peskin rlpcon at vermontel.net
Thu Jul 8 17:40:15 UTC 1999

At 10:05 AM +0200 7/8/99, Mahler Thomas wrote:
>IMO this is a proof that the poor performance is not caused by Linux X
>Servers but must be caused by the Squeak Graphic implementation for
>Linux itself.

I think this is the case. The original BeSqueak (BeOS Squeak) behaved in a
similarly poor way (on both Intel and PPC) until the graphics performance
was tweaked. I don't think the problem is with Xservers. I use Tenon's
XTen, a Mac Xserver, as my UI into Linux. ObjectWorks(Linux) performs
adequately well using the XTen server; Squeak doesn't.
--dick

R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ.
;<peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>;<http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~peskin>
RLP Consulting <rlpcon at sover.net>; <http://www.sover.net/~rlpcon>