Celeste attachments handling improvements?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 28 15:07:54 UTC 1999

Look at the popup menu in the top-right pane page--isn't there a "save message" option?  That's how I've been using to handle MIME attachments I receive.

It *would* be nice to have builtin MIME multipart support.  And it's not even that complicated.  Let's see...  The first step would seem to be some sort of MultipartDocument that apps can stream a message into and get the parts out.  It could work something like:

	doc _ MultipartDocument fromString: message bodyText.   "message is a MailMessage"
	doc numParts.   "ask how many parts there are"
	doc part: 2.      "get the second part, perhaps as another MailMessage, perhaps as a new class"
	(doc part: 2) contentType.    "get the content type of the second part"
	(doc part: 2) body content.   "get the actual content"
	(doc part: 2) filename.        "snag the filename that was put in the headers, if any"
	"..."

Once the multipart parser is done, someone needs to update the Celeste UI.  Ideally, attachments could show up as clickable text links that popup a menu, similar to URLs....

Lex