performance of 2.4 under Linux

Mahler Thomas thomas.mahler at karstadt.de
Thu Jul 8 08:05:04 UTC 1999

Richard L. Peskin wrote:

> I find that the window refresh and other BitBlt operations of Squeak2.4c
> under Linux (Intel) is quite slow. My base of comparison is the Mac
> version, and, more to the point, VisualWorks 3.1 under the same Linux. What
> have others experienced?

I made the same observation regarding Linux and NT running on the same
box: Squeak Graphic on LINUX is slow compared with Squeak NT or other
systems (e.g VWNC for LINUX)
I just made another interesting observation:
I'm running an WinNT Emulation (VMWARE 1.0) inside my Linux Box.
Squeak Graphic on this emulated NT is still much faster than on native
Linux.
IMO this is a proof that the poor performance is not caused by Linux X
Servers but must be caused by the Squeak Graphic implementation for
Linux itself.

-- Thomas Mahler

> Also, I cannot get any sound output with 2.4c under Linux. I have an
> Ensonic 1370 board and it appears to work in other situations. Any idea
> what might be wrong?
> --dick peskin

> R. L. Peskin,  Rutgers Univ.
> ;<peskin at caip.rutgers.edu>;<http://www.caip.rutgers.edu/~peskin>
> RLP Consulting <rlpcon at sover.net>; <http://www.sover.net/~rlpcon>

Thomas Mahler                Tel   : +49-201-727-6301
Abteilung IW-WB1             Fax   : +49-201-727-4952
Karstadt AG                  mailto:thomas.mahler at karstadt.de
Postfach 10 21 64            http://www.karstadt.de
Theodor-Althoff-Strasse 2
45133 Essen