Dolphin Style Events Implem.?

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Fri Jul 16 02:11:50 UTC 1999

Richard,

I see someone has already passed in a link to my change-set. Thanks. The
event system I did should be pretty similar to Dolphins' in terms of how you
use it. Bob Arning pointed out that it could hang if events cause a 'does
not understand' notification (Semaphore problem). I have used Craig's
exception framework to (hopefully) fix this now. My tests indicate that the
events will continue functioning after debuggers and notifications etc. Let
me know if you have any problems.

The garbage collection of events works - mostly. There are situations where
publishers send themselves messages containing the publisher as an argument
where garbage collection cannot be guaranteed to work. I recently noticed
that Dolphin 1.1 had the same problem. Andy Bower has told me this is fixed
in the newer version of Dolphin, but, since I don't have the new version, I
cant figure out how they did it (presumably with #beWeak).

Peter

From: R. A. Harmon <harmonra at webname.com>