AI, intelligent agents and nonesuch

Warner Onstine warner at eblox.com
Fri Jul 2 17:42:51 UTC 1999

Hi all,
I heard about this from a friend of mine, whom is also on the mailing
list (Lawson English), and he mentioned that there was some discussion
going on about creating AI or intelligent OS using Squeak.  This
intrigued quite a bit, as this is a long-term project that I have been
thinking about undertaking over the next (who knows how many years).
Here were my thoughts on the subject:

1. There is a project called Tierra which created an a-life organism
that actually modifies its own source - the creator started with an
80-byte program which then modified itself down to 21 bytes.  The
closest a human (one who was quite adept at assembler I might add) could
get was 30-bytes.  That is a tremendous improvement.
2. By using intelligent agents as the base OS we then begin to see the
benefits of it actually learning and improving itself for any given
user.  Of course some things would need to be constant so that others
could use it in an impersonal mode, but you get the idea.
3. If we integrate the idea of a self-improving OS we could over time
actually see an OS that actually evolves and learns not only from the
User but also from the Net and other Users that it is connected to.

I desperately would like to get in contact with anyone who has touched
on these ideas or others that might be related.  My initial thought was
to get a cheap PowerPC and drop Linux-PPC on it and go from there seeing
what could be done.

Rant complete.

-warner onstine