Squeak networking

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Jul 17 21:23:18 UTC 1999

--On Saturday, July 17, 1999, 8:54 PM +0000 Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
wrote:

> The real killer still seems to be implementing the new server-socket
> semantics on Macs.

Yes. I guess. Maybe. Other languages/servers seem to be able to do it ;)

> For reference, the new functions needed are the
> following:
>
>	 newListenOn:port  --  new version of starting a server socket  (needs a
>	 better name....) newConnection -- return a newly connected socket, and
>	 leave the original to listen for more new connections
>	 waitForConnectionUntil: -- already present, but would need to be updated
>	 to deal with the new kind of socket.
>

> Can anyone *demonstrate* how to do this stuff on Macs?  People keep
> posting that "oh there's several Mac sockets libraries" or "I could do
> this on a Mac, easily".  Well, do it already :)

If only I could...:)

>  At  the least, if
> someone has he knowhow but not the resources, mail the list or SC more
> specifically about how it *could* be done.  Many people would be quite
> thankful :)

My personal guess is that the easiest and most portable way to do it is to
use Matthias Neeracher's GUSI:

"What is GUSI and where can I get it?
GUSI (the name officially stands for Grand Unified Socket Interface :-) is
a library that tries to emulate on one hand BSD style sockets across
various communication domains, one the other hand a few Unix calls like
symlink() and the like."

FAQ at:
        http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri/macintosh/gusi-qa.html
Manual at:
        http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri/macintosh/gusiman/GUSI.html

I'll note that GUSI is surely used in the MacPerl port and (I believe) the
Mac Python port. So it seems fairly well tested. I saw some rumblings of a
GUSI II, but wasn't able to follow the link.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.