performance of 2.4 under Linux

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Thu Jul 8 19:26:47 UTC 1999

Part of the problem is that for most machines out there (ie x86) every screen
update requires that the pixels be reversed for big-endian to little endian
correction. Converting from the Squeak pixel depth in use to the X pixel depth
in use may also be required, depending on your setup.
Both changes have to be done in user code, rather than any sort of hyper-
optimised OS code (my Acorn for example can do the bit-depth changes in very
sneaky kernel code that can manipulate the caches and even self-optimise) which
might explain some of the apparent slowness.
I'm far from an X-pert, but I would also suspect the code that seems to
alloc/free/realloc memory in every ioShowDisplay() call - that must surely take
up quite a bit of time?

tim

--
Useful random insult:- Calls people to ask them their phone number.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)