exceptions (was "working together")

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Thu Jul 15 16:06:39 UTC 1999

At 02:40 PM 7/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
[snip]
>	Oh well; at least I'm finally getting some feedback...

I implemented what I hope is a usable SIF reader/writer in Dolphin, an just
started moving back to Squeak.  Your exceptions framework and Vassili Bykov
ANSI mapping makes this move MUCH easier, and gives me reliable exceptions.
The installation was straight forward and both seem to me well
documented--examples I'll try to follow.  Thanks to both of you.

I've just switched to The Fourth Estate, Inc. (TFEI) exceptions.  This is
because I'm trying to make porting SIF as easy as possible so I use the ANSI
style exceptions, don't have any need for instance-based exceptions and the
experience to use them, and TFEI exceptions is smaller thus less to maintain
as Squeak moves on.

I think your exceptions framework would greatly ease porting VW applications
that use  -based.

I plan on using only ANSI standard messages in my code for SIF and all
future projects, and hope the standard takes hold and will be implemented.
I'm not qualified to judge the merits of class-based or instance-based
exceptions, so I just stick to the ANSI standard.  It seems to me to be the
easier course.

Thanks again.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy