Squeak for Lego Robots?

Satellite Boy intern_boy_chris at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 17:58:01 UTC 1999

     Hello, I'm a newbie Squeaker, and I am learning
squeak/smalltalk-80 in order to serve as research assistant to a
professor. He's interested in the Lego MindStorms the robotics
people have been playing with around here. The goal of the robotics
people is to write a program to allow the MindStorm robot to search
a room and pick up all the Red Coke cans, and throw them away. The
robotics people have ditched the tools that come with a mindstorm,
and have been using something called "LegoOS", which allows you to
code in C (and compiles/links the code to custom libraries, making
your programs smaller and faster then what you get with Lego's
tools.)
He and jointly feel that smalltalk-80/squeak would be much better
suited for robotics programming then C. We hope to create tools
that would facilitate a more robust development environment,
utilizing Squeak's "Everything-is-an-Object" metaphor.
     So my questions are: Does anyone have experience with Squeak
and Mindstorms (are you researching this, too?)
    *Does anyone know anything about the LegoOS, its libraries, or
compiler?
    *Does anyone know about the chip used inside the Mindstorm
robot, in case assembly programming is needed anytime during this
research project?
   Please, in-order to keep list traffic down, email me directly.
However, some community discussion couldn't hurt "fill-out" the
concept.
  Thanks everybody! And to the Squeak Team, keep up the good work!
   Christopher Wilson, cwilson at bucknell.edu AND intern_boy_chris at yahoo.com