Working together (some ideas)

Hans-Martin Mosner hm.mosner at cityweb.de
Sun Jul 25 12:29:50 UTC 1999

Ivan Tomek wrote:

>Doesn't a stack-based  model like Collage presume a sequential form of
>development? The earlier discussion dealt with parallel and
>independent developments. How would the Collage model deal with
>this?
>
>Ivan

The stack-based model tries to mimic the sequential form, without
making independent development difficult. One idea of Collage is that
the stack can be reorganized at any time, making the system behave as
if the different layers were filed in in another order.
I think that the main problem with non-intersecting application
approaches such as ENVY is that they make 'patches' quite difficult
to develop and maintain if you're not the owner of the application to
be patched. In the highly delocalized culture of Squeak, where people
from all corners contribute interesting things (which are often not
in a production-quality state), this is simply unfeasible.

Hans-Martin