Style

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 18 16:28:51 UTC 1999

I guess I was not clear.  It is fine to argue about style, and
to propose that the old way of doing things is bad and should
change.  I was objecting to Peter's statement
"There is not any one right style."  At some level, this is
clearly true.  But most of the time we should act like it is
false.  Smalltalk has a style, and most of the time we should
treat it like Truth rather than just one particular way of
doing things.  In particular, when we are dealing with young
Smalltalkers we should focus on explaining that style to them
rather than criticising it.

Kent Beck's book does an excellent job of describing this style,
by the way.  The book presents it as Truth, though if you talk
with Kent he can argue both sides of an issue as well as anybody.

What I want to avoid is saying "You have your style and I'll have
mine, and we will just agree to disagree."  Style is important!
Obviously we will never agree completely, but we need to work on it.

-Ralph