Scamper woes - was: genuine squeak newbie

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 22 08:11:40 UTC 1999

invader at zilker.net (Michael Donegan) wrote:
> >From the HTTP 1.1 RFC:
>
> The individual values of the numeric status codes defined for
>    HTTP/1.1, and an example set of corresponding Reason-Phrase's, are
>    presented below. The reason phrases listed here are only recommended
>    -- they may be replaced by local equivalents without affecting the
>    protocol.
>
> A client should look at the 200 and not the message. The message is for
> some human to read.
>
>         mkd

If I'm reading the code right, Squeak does only use the numeric code.  In some instances, it only looks at the first numeral in the code.  Check out the HTTPSocket class, class side, method httpGetDocument:args:etc..

At a guess, from the sleuthing that's been reported, could the the server in question be appending just newlines to the end of the header rather than CR-LF pairs?  Perhaps HTTPSocket should be modified to deal with this, but in any case I think CRLF pairs are required by the specs.  I'd check this myself but I don't have a net connection right now.

Incidentally, the thing called "Scamper" is just the interface, the web browser itself.  A great thing about Squeak is that all the individual code modules are there, so you can use just the parts that you need.  We don't have to think in terms of a netscape-like monolithic program.  There are a few things Scamper sits on top of that you might take advantage of directly:

	- HTML tokenizer, parser, and formatter (all can be used independently)
	- URL handling code

Squeak makes a great environment to write little web crawlers to, say, check your site for dead links.

Lex