[ALL+ ALL] Lobbying for Smalltalk

Dino gte949e at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 4 12:50:22 UTC 1999

What we need would be something like Java RMI so we don't have to go downloading
the whole image all the time...  Smalltalk almost feels like a whole operating
system...  nobody wants a new operating system just to program in one specific
language.  When I started with Squeak, I didn't like the idea of carrying around
5mb of stuff, I'd prefer just to carry a small 100k of code around with me.

Some of my friends who disbelieve in Squeak also don't like the super-bright
colors that morphic comes with...  I think they are more used to the nice
contrast of emacs or something.  Squeak was the first time I ever programmed in
a "green" background.

The font is also a little queer...  it would be cool if there were obvious and
easy ways to change the font and color...  would make Squeak a whole lot more
pleasant to beginners who are used to programming hard-core C in B/W xterms
using some fixed-width font.

-- Dino