ObjectExplorer

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Jun 25 11:45:17 UTC 1999

Ian> Yeah, I guess they just not forseen mailing lists when designed email
Ian> stuffs. It would be interesting to see our Celeste have something like
Ian> newsreader.. Reply to group and reply to author. It shouldn't be hard.
Ian> Either filter for squeak at cs.uiuc.edu and having a definition for it that
Ian> says it's a mailing list, or simply check 'From:' and 'Reply-to' fields are
Ian> not the same?

No, a proper mailing list doesn't set reply-to, because it overrides
the requests of the incoming mail (which may have had its own
Reply-to).  All modern mailreaders that I've seen have a choice of
"reply to sender" (personal) vs "reply to sender and to/cc" (public).
A mailing list should not add "reply-to" to force both of those to be
the same, because all too often, we get what just happened (twice).

*That's* what I mean by evil.

GNUS has a setting to "ignore evil reply-to", but then for the half
dozen people on this list that set a personal reply-to, I don't see them.

No mailing list should set reply-to.  It breaks things.  It's against
the nature of the header.

Email: <merlyn at stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn at teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me