Upload Swikis

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Tue Jun 22 20:01:32 UTC 1999

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Mark Guzdial wrote:

> It's very easy to make an older Swiki into an UploadSwiki.  But there are a
> bunch of caveats here.
>
> - Currently, UploadSwikis are a great way to trash a server.  We didn't
> know if this was a Mac-only problem until we set up an UploadSwiki on a
> Linux box and someone tried to upload the 25M QuickTime Star Wars trailer.
> Kablam!  Server goes into a tight loop in ConnectionQueue>>listen and we
> can't stop it.  Anything more than 300K is risky.  For Smalltalk code, it's
> not a big deal.

Maybe it would be good to configure (if possible) the upload Swiki page to
reject any files larger than 300K.  Or at the very least, reject files
larger than a megabyte.  Almost all changesets would be smaller than 300K
anyway, you'd just be keeping out the riff-raff (e.g. Star Wars trailers).
Screenshots *should* be smaller than 300K too... it would be good to
encourage people to limit any screenshot uploads to 800x600 or smaller
(with 8-bit color), for convenient viewing within a browser.

By the way, the screenshots page on the Swiki is cool.  Although we should
try to add some more content-rich screenshots as well, not just alternate
UI-look screenshots, as was discussed earlier on this list... (I think
both types are important).

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technogies, Ann Arbor, MI
  dway at eai.com, dway at mat.net