Upload Swikis

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jun 22 18:26:35 UTC 1999

Mark,

>- Currently, UploadSwikis are a great way to trash a server.  We didn't
>know if this was a Mac-only problem until we set up an UploadSwiki on a
>Linux box and someone tried to upload the 25M QuickTime Star Wars trailer.
>Kablam!  Server goes into a tight loop in ConnectionQueue>>listen and we
>can't stop it.  Anything more than 300K is risky.  For Smalltalk code, it's
>not a big deal.

Is this related to a problem discussed previously on this list by Ralph and
others?
It was to do with Squeak not implementing the BSD sockets interface
properly. I seem to remember that the 'listen' or 'accept'  was not
implemented as a primitive, which caused timing problems.  Tim (I think) had
done BSD sockets, but I don't know if this fixed the problem. It had to do
with the timing between one connection being accepted and the next
connection request arriving before the new listening socket was ready.
Are you having these problems if there is only one connection, or does it
only occur with multiple user connections?

I am having all sorts of problems with NT and sockets. Even using the
localhost address, I can only get one connection up. Trying to get a second
hangs the semaphore. I checked the list archive, and others had been having
the same problem way back. In the archive, this was thought to be a windows
bug. That, and the 'send thread not closed' error message when the socket is
destroyed seem to be recurring bugs. Since Sockets are such a fundamental
foundation for Squeak, this should probably be investigated as a matter of
priority...

Peter

>It was in trying to improve the UploadSwikis that Bolot started his
>re-write of PWS, which he calls Comanche.  Commanche now exists, and Jochen
>Rick is trying to write Swikis for Commanche now.

Is there a 'preview version' of Comanche available to have a look at?

Peter