Documentation

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Thu Jun 10 14:58:54 UTC 1999

Peter Novak wrote:
> Okay, someone can say that it's easy to search for some example in Squeak,
> where is used some simillar construction I want to use, but I think that
> surfing in sources is waste of time, isn't it?

Not at all -- but it _is_ an acquired skill I suppose. Good Smalltalk
environments can be described as "read mostly", while most conventional
environments are "write mostly". At the beginning you find yourself
reading a lot of Smalltalk code and writing a little to get something
done, but as you learn this becomes: read a little, write a little, and
get a lot done. Conventional environments usually follow a cycle of read
a lot of doc, write a lot of code, find the doc was completely screwed,
rewrite much of the code in a trial and error fashion to work around the
bugs in the doc and in the system (which you cannot modify), and pray it
works this time -- later, with more experience, this becomes: read a
little doc with a pinch of salt, write a lot of code, and still rewrite
much of the code in a trial and error fashion to work around the bugs in
the doc (which you are now expecting) and in the system (which you still
cannot modify), and praying is still a good idea. ;-)

-- Dwight

PS: Does this mean that conventional environments make one more
religious or just more desperate? :-b