Some bizarre thoughts on the nature of programming...

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Wed Jun 23 02:54:46 UTC 1999

> The more I think about this, the more I am starting to realise how
> insightful the asynchronous messaging in the original Smalltalk was.

This thread is great, my own experimentation with asynchronous messages was
a real eye opener.

I've started to think more in terms of cloning objects for reuse, rather
than reuse by delegation or inheritance (I think Self has a lot to teach in
this regard).  Where is it in nature that a cell's behavior is reused from
some other cell?  It's not.  It simply responds to messages from it's
environment with messages of it's own.  If we could build a system that is
conceptually based on a cloning mechanism (that may actually have an
efficient implemenation using standard delegation/inheritance for reuse) and
then we added to that the asynchronous messaging...I think we would be well
on our way to something spectacular.

- Stephen