Scamper woes - was: genuine squeak newbie

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 22 11:44:47 UTC 1999

Hi,
  I agree.  I poked at http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068.txt and my reading is that the string following the status code, 200 in this case, is optional and can take any form the server desires.  This was from the bnf rule of:

*rule
     The character "*" preceding an element indicates repetition. The
     <m> occurrences of element. Default values are 0 and infinity so
     that "*(element)" allows any number, including zero; "1*element"
     requires at least one; and "1*2element" allows one or two.

and the description of the response header of:

6.1.1 Status Code and Reason Phrase

   The Status-Code element is a 3-digit integer result code of the
   attempt to understand and satisfy the request. These codes are fully
   defined in section 10. The Reason-Phrase is intended to give a short
   textual description of the Status-Code. The Status-Code is intended
   for use by automata and the Reason-Phrase is intended for the human
   user. The client is not required to examine or display the Reason-
   Phrase.

   The first digit of the Status-Code defines the class of response. The
   last two digits do not have any categorization role. There are 5
   values for the first digit:

     o  1xx: Informational - Request received, continuing process

     o  2xx: Success - The action was successfully received, understood,
        and accepted

<snip>

   The individual values of the numeric status codes defined for
   HTTP/1.1, and an example set of corresponding Reason-Phrase's, are
   presented below. The reason phrases listed here are only recommended
   -- they may be replaced by local equivalents without affecting the
   protocol.

          Status-Code    = "100"   ; Continue
                         | "101"   ; Switching Protocols
                         | "200"   ; OK
                         | "201"   ; Created
                         | "202"   ; Accepted
                         | "203"   ; Non-Authoritative Information
                         | "204"   ; No Content
                         | "205"   ; Reset Content
                         | "206"   ; Partial Content
                         | "300"   ; Multiple Choices
<snip>
          Reason-Phrase  = *<TEXT, excluding CR, LF>

Now that I'm using Scamper for much of my day to day work I'll poke at this when I get a chance.  Thanks goes to the new user who asked who used Squeak as there daily environment, it pushed me to do this!

cheers

bruce