an amusing Neal Stephenson quote

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Thu Jun 17 07:10:34 UTC 1999

Steve Putz and I built Babar together while I was summer
intern at Parc. Celeste is a simplified version of that
system that I implemented from scratch when I returned to
graduate school at the University of Washington. I used it
for the rest of my graduate school career. When we built
Squeak, I ported to Celeste to it and Lex Spoon added the
networking code to make it talk to POP3 and SMTP servers.

So, yes, the name Celeste is meant to pay homage to Babar,
which was a really nice mail reader with many cool features
that aren't in Celeste.

	-- John