[ENH] OS-level events

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Wed Jun 30 23:02:57 UTC 1999

My understanding of events is much more basic than the others discussing
this issue, but I have a naive question.

Why are low level OS events like mouse clicks and keyboard strokes treated
differently from a general events mechanism? By this I mean a mechanism for
passing messages to 'subscribers' whenever an object emits an event
(publish-subscribe)? It seems to me that any event still has an Object from
which it originates, and one or more objects that will be told the event has
occurred. Why can't low and high level events share the same abstractions,
and even be placed on the same event queue? I also think exception-handling
has much in common with event handling (on: exception do: aBlock). The
exception looks to me very much like an 'event' that the block is told
about. Is it possible to fuse these three mechanisms into a common
abstraction and reuse a lot of the code, or is this just wishful thinking on
my part?

Peter