Squeak OS

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Jun 15 15:25:15 UTC 1999

Blake,

> My first impression was that it is not terribly, initially.

For a different impression, I played around with making a Squeak desktop
that looks similar to a win32 environment (I apologize in advance to the Mac
users :) ).  I put a GIF snapshot at:

	http://www.advantive.com/squeak/win_style_ss.gif

It incorporates many of the UI enhancements that people have talked about
recently, as well as a few of my own.

> For
> example, in a few hours of playing, I haven't been able to figure out
> how to launch Scamper, although I ran across it a few times in the
> documentation by clicking urls...  It took a good twenty minutes to find
> the Command-D instruction for running scripts...

In a workspace (in a Morphic world), evaluate:	Scamper openAsMorph

> Bearing in mind I'm new to SmallTalk, how difficult would it be to write
> an e-mail client for Squeak?

Shouldn't be terribly difficult, but one called Celeste already exists.  You
could try enhancing it.

To run celeste, evaluate:	Celeste openOn: 'mailDatabase'

- Stephen