Upload Swikis

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 22 18:00:40 UTC 1999

It's very easy to make an older Swiki into an UploadSwiki.  But there are a
bunch of caveats here.

- Currently, UploadSwikis are a great way to trash a server.  We didn't
know if this was a Mac-only problem until we set up an UploadSwiki on a
Linux box and someone tried to upload the 25M QuickTime Star Wars trailer.
Kablam!  Server goes into a tight loop in ConnectionQueue>>listen and we
can't stop it.  Anything more than 300K is risky.  For Smalltalk code, it's
not a big deal.

- UploadSwikis sometimes lose things.  Bolot Kerimbaev (who wrote
UploadSwikis) and I have played with uploading AIFF files and had them fail
fairly reliably on both Mac and Linux servers.  We haven't figured out the
exact conditions under which the upload gets corrupted.

That said, we use UploadSwikis a lot.  We just have to reboot our servers
alot, too.

It was in trying to improve the UploadSwikis that Bolot started his
re-write of PWS, which he calls Comanche.  Commanche now exists, and Jochen
Rick is trying to write Swikis for Commanche now.

Bottomline: We can make the Squeak Swiki an UploadSwiki, but it may make
the server less reliable.  In the medium term (say, by this Fall),
Commanche should be available that we can try to move to that.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu