Process priority and portable OS threads

Benoit St-Jean lamneth at aei.ca
Wed Jun 2 12:26:50 UTC 1999

At 07:06 99-06-02 -0400, you wrote:
>--- portable OS threads ---
>
>Last night, I got an OS threaded call-out mechanism working.  I've created
>three pluggable primitives
>
>    primitiveCallOut
>    primitiveThreadedCallOut
>    primitiveThreadedCallOutResult
>
>I've abstracted the machine code necessary to actually do the call out to
>ensure portability.  This abstraction and the machine code reside in the
>image (in instances of ExternalByteArray).  These primitives simply call the
>machine code for the desired calling mechanism.
>
>Thus, these primitives are highly portable, except where the native threads
>come in to the picture.  My first cut is using tthreads
> http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~stanis/tthread.html ; thanks to Greg A. for the
>pointer), a C++ abstraction that provides portability between pthreads
>(POSIX) and win32 threads.
>
>Does the Mac support pthreads?  I'm trying to determine what level of
>portability I actually have here.

There's a good article on portability and threads in the #300 (June 1999)
issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal where they describe protability issues on Mac
and Windows...  Unfortunately, the code is in C++ but I'd say it's a good
start
Benoit St-Jean                           Creative Technologies International
871-8585 #234                           1440 Ste-Catherine ouest, Bureau 400
email (work) : bstjean at creative.ca        Montreal, Quebec, Canada,  H3C 3R7
      (home) : lamneth at aei.ca

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do not
reflect the official views of CTI