MorphicWindows TitleBar and 3DLook

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Jun 15 08:22:34 UTC 1999

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com wrote:

> here is a little change set for extending the title bar of morphic
> windows with a gradient fill morph. Do the file in before you open a
> morphic project.

Oh well, I didn't read that sentence. And besides, I wouldn't want to
close all Morphic projects I have.

> It looks very nice if you also load Bert's 3D Look. I also attached his
> change set to this mail.

Thanks for the flowers. But - my changes can be disabled and enabled by
preferences, and they don't conflict with the rest of the system (if they
do, it's a bug). It's not only that it looks terrible without grey
windows. But it should not crash "old" windows on the screen.

If I file in your changeset, then enter PWM-3 - BOOM! The system hangs,
not even Alt-. works. Fortunately it's my habit to save the image before
filing in anything ...

> What do you think about extending the Squeak UI with different window
> Styles?  There is an interesting project doing such things with the
> normal MS-Windows UI at http://www.windowblinds.net/.  A lot of
> interesting stuff can also be found at http://www.themes.org. I think a
> lot of people would like to use squeak if it provides a better UI than
> the boring old Smalltalk look. And Morphic is the best way to create
> such customizable environments.

I second this. Should be a fun project. But I strongly vote for not
touching the current "Squeak look", but adding optional themes. Btw,
how's a mouse's skin called? Fur? Pelt? Let's hack WindowPeltMorphs and
a SystemFurPolicy :-)

Cheers,
/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                       Department of
                                                        Simulation and