Squeak swiki down....

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 29 19:47:34 UTC 1999

>No, not related -- the Transcript just got munged.  Happens sometimes with
>the multi-threading when too many processes are trying to write too much to
>the Transcript at once.  It is slightly related to the UploadSwiki --
>which, because it's still experimental, prints out extra stuff to the
>Transcript.

Let me explain myself a little better.  This isn't an issue of too many
processes.  If there are two separate threads both trying to dump things on
an unprotected Transcript, then the Transcript can get munged.  However,
this possiblity exists in every PWS running with the multi-threading add-on
(http://pbl.cc.gatech.edu:8080/myswiki.230) which several of us have been
running without trouble for months now.  The lack of trouble is because
base PWS doesn't show much to the Transcript at all, so the possibility
doesn't normally lead to a munged Transcript.  As the number of users,
frequency of hits, and/or amount being dumped to the Transcript increases,
the probability of a problem increases.

There are lots of solutions: Put the shows inside a critical section,
making a thread-safe Transcript, etc.  We just haven't got there yet, and
the probability of a problem is low-enough that we can live with it.

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu