How About an InstallSqueak Image?

Duane T Williams duane at cmu.edu
Tue Jun 15 15:23:34 UTC 1999

>I would say, one file only. We shouldn't forget how this thread started, by
>the mean of downloading problems. An executable file, for example, would
>automatically download as binary mode. So, I am for the one file (VM +
>install image + other files).

This is simply not always true.  The ftp on my unix machine will transfer
any file in text mode unless I explicitly tell it to switch to binary mode.

I don't understand all the complex solutions being proposed.  All the folks
at disney have to do is to not release anything that can be confused for a
text file.  Turn the text files into a compressed archive using gzip or
StuffIt.  The downloads will go faster and the receiver won't get anywhere
with them unless they have been retrieved properly.

What this means is that they won't be blaming Squeak if they make a mistake
in the download.  Plus, they are more likely to be retrieved properly if
they have an archive extension on the filename.  95% of the current problem
is simply that the release includes so-called text files.  Get rid of them!

The gzip format is readable using free utility programs on Macs, PCs, and
Unix.  The StuffIt format is readable at least on Macs and PCs.