Documentation (my last word for a while)

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Tue Jun 8 23:56:59 UTC 1999

I do not want this to become something like the discussion of "a message is just a subroutine".
Not only is Smalltalk different from everything else, but the different way one needs to think is the essence of its expressiveness.  Delving through the corpus of code not only suggests how to solve a given problem, it suggests new problems to solve.

The question is how do we best communicate this, so that our community grows larger and more influential in the world at large.  We have a terrific opportunity, since this project is not only at the forefront of object technology, but also of open source.

There are experts out there who have some answers.  They have documented why some practices may be better than others, and have discovered some effective educational methods.  I will step back while they offer some suggestions, and as a community we should expand on them, debate them, and come up with a plan for a documentation project.  I will help in any way I can.