Speaking of the latest version...

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Jun 22 04:44:47 UTC 1999

Folks -

You may have noticed Squeak Central laying low through the last couple of mail storms.  It's not that we're not interested, it's just that we have been busy.

We have made some progress in integrating balloon with morphic, integrating 3D with morphic, and integrating normal programming with scripting and viewers.  Also a unification of WorldMorphs with PasteUpMorphs so that any world or pasteUp can be written out to a SqueakPage, and then read in as a world, a pasteUp, or the page of a book.  Also some steps toward better modularity, such as being able to atomically assert/revert changes when entering/leaving a project.  And some fun new stuff in music that lets you enter melodies from a keyboard into a score, and then copy and paste them and play the results, as well as some tweaks that make it easier to play with looped sampled sounds.

It's my hope to assemble all of this into a new image some time next week, but it might take a bit longer as several of the changes touch a lot of code.  We have lots of updates to put out, and I will probably release a spate of them toward the end of the week.

A number of interesting enhancements and bug fixes have been put forward from this mailing list.  Please let me know privately of anything you feel deserves special consideration for inclusion in the main line release.

In case you wonder, everyone here resonates with the desire to spruce up Squeak.org, and to clarify our mission a bit in the process, but we probably won't take any real action until we have put out the next release.

Walk tall and talk Small

	- Dan