Replacing changed/update experiment..

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Jun 16 22:00:35 UTC 1999

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:05:47 +0930 "Peter Smet" <peter.smet at flinders.edu.au> wrote:
>Open an inspector on PostOffice default, look at how many objects are
>registered. Open a few morpic windows. Open a transcript or two.
>Close a transcript. open and close a few browsers and inspectors.
>Do a few FillInTheBlank forms. Then dismiss all of these windows
>by clicking the close button in their top left corner. Inspect the
>PostOffice again. Do a Smalltalk garbageCollect. Keep
>inspecting. What I am finding is that none of these references
>are disappearing - Even when i have ripped out the
>DependentFields global. Something is hanging on to these
>references, but I dont know what....
>
>I think now that this problem can't be poor finalization by
>PostOffice, since there are no nil values lying around in
>the WKDictionary - the gc is simply not getting these refs..

I'm assuming this is with your Dependents code filed in on top of your Publish-Subscribe code. I tried the test you suggested and the objects eventually went away. Did you have *any* inspectors open on any part of the PostOffice while you were garbage collecting?

>The tricky bit for me is serializing objects. The ORB I downloaded uses
>7 bit bytes to do this, and I can't figure out why they aren't just bytes...

There probably are still systems in existence that are limited to 7-bit communication in ascii and whoever wrote this was just being safe.

Cheers,
Bob