Answers to Questions (Was Re: Squeak OS)

Joshua Gargus gargus at ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 15 15:35:49 UTC 1999

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Blake Harris wrote:

<snip>

> My first impression was that it is not terribly, initially.

Easy?

> For
> example, in a few hours of playing, I haven't been able to figure out
> how to launch Scamper,

1. In a Morphic project, click your middle button (the one that brings up
a menu like:

	keep this menu up
	------------------
	previous project
	jump to project
	restore display
	------------------
	etc.
	)

2. Choose 'open...'
3. Choose 'web browser' from the resulting menu.

> although I ran across it a few times in the
> documentation by clicking urls...  It took a good twenty minutes to find
> the Command-D instruction for running scripts...

The Squeak Team is putting out some nice tutorials to get newbies up and
running.  Check out

www.squeak.org/tutorials/BankAccount.html
www.squeak.org/tutorials/morphic-tutorial-1.html

> Bearing in mind I'm new to SmallTalk, how difficult would it be to write
> an e-mail client for Squeak?

Depends on your previous programming experience, I guess.  However, I wouldn't
recommend it, since one already exists (yay!!)

Follow the steps for opening Scamper, but choose 'email reader' instead
of 'web browser' from the 'open...' menu.

> In any case, I'm very fond of it thus far...

I don't think that's going to change :-)

Josh

> Blake Harris

<SqueakOS discussion snipped>