Ramblings on how to optimize Squeak for modern CPU bit manipulation (Was Re: I was wondering ...

Adam Hill ahill at users.arco.com
Fri Jun 25 19:21:07 UTC 1999

There is a large list of libraries from Intel that are free for the asking.
We don't get source just binary redistribution.

I realize this is not incredibly useful since it is X86 specific but it is
an impressive list of libraries for some ideas(or API's):

-----
Signal Processing Library
The Intel Signal Processing Library provides a set of signal processing
functions for the Intel Architecture processors similar to those available
for most Digital Signal Processors (DSPs).

Recognition Primitives Library
The Intel Recognition Primitives Library provides developers of speech- and
character-recognition software with a set of recognition primitives
optimized for the Intel Architecture.

Image Processing Library
The Intel Image Processing Library provides a set of low-level image
manipulation functions in standard DLLs and static libraries form. The
functions are optimized for Intel Architecture processors and are
particularly effective at taking advantage of MMX™ technology.

JPEG Library
The Intel JPEG Library provides high-performance encoding and decoding of
full-color and grayscale continuous-tone still images in JPEG format.

Math Kernel Library
The Intel Math Kernel Library provides developers of scientific and
engineering software with a set of linear algebra and fast Fourier transform
functions as a static library optimized for the Intel Architecture.

---

adam hill...