Documentation... (was Re: Article in Wired)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Fri Jun 11 12:30:37 UTC 1999

> Server side stuff has requirements of stability and safety which Squeak
> isn't suited for - no matter how well PWS is written it won't approach the
> speed and rock-solid permanance of Apache.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean PWS and Squeak won't or can't evolve into
something competitive in those regards (performance and stability).

> When thinking about promoting and growing networking in Squeak, we should
> be thinking beyond the delivery of static HTML/XML - swikis and muswiki
> stuff are a good beginning.

My own opinion here is that maybe we shouldn't try and do all sorts of
contortions just to market Squeak.  Just make Squeak do what you want it to
do, or make it do what you want it to do better.  In the end, Squeak will
continue to move forward, the community will get better and better at
collaborative work, and the recognition will follow naturally.  In the open
source world, the phrase "build it and they will come" may just apply.

As the community grows, it will grow with people that see Squeak for what it
is and can make use of it as it is...instead of growing with people lured in
by promises and half truths about Squeak's capabilities.

My $0.02   ;)

- Stephen