Hosted Swiki

Nathan Wallace nathan at synop.com
Tue Jun 8 18:41:47 UTC 1999

Unless you have a very liberal web host, I suspect that you are out of
luck...

Here are the problems that I see immediately:

1. You need root access to run programs on any port < about 1024

2. Most hosts won't let you open a socket on any port higher than 1024
anyway.  I assume that this is for reasons of security...

3. To run the swiki you really need to have an image running
continuously on the machine.  You might be able to do this, but it
depends on your host.

4. Squeak eats a fair bit of memory while running.  Any web host that is
paying some attention to their machines will quickly notice your
continually running process that is eating a chunk of their memory.

Cheers,

Nathan

--
Nathan Wallace