Fly-By-Wire - a mini ORB for Squeak

Peter Smet peter.smet at flinders.edu.au
Wed Jun 16 14:12:22 UTC 1999

Two very interesting things I discovered at the
Smalltalk archive, recent additions.

ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/st80_vw/RemoteObjects/
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/goodies/TreeWorks80.cs

I include the tree stuff in case anyone has an interest in
turning one of the panes of the CHB into a tree view.

The other one has me more excited, since it is an ORB
for smalltalk. It is implemented in VW 2.5 but I suspect
that Squeak has all the socket support it needs to get
this project right off the ground. Is there anyone interested
in making objects 'Fly by Wire' across different images?

This mini-ORB looks like just the thing to provide
scaffolding to get a rudimentary RMI facility into
Squeak. I have made a start on filing in the classes
and converting the ORB classes to use Squeak's
sockets. I WOULD LOVE SOME HELP.

There is the usual interface stuff that needs to be
converted, sorting out differences in binary streaming
between VW and Squeak etc. But heck, there are
only about 10 or so classes all up. I am working on
the ORB, ORBClient and ORBServer classes at the
moment.

If you have an urge to do some coding, file in the
attached change set and fix up a class or two. Remember,
you can test all the connections locally by setting up
the client and server on the loopback address. See
SimpleClientSocket for details on how to do this.

Peter

Attachment converted: Anon:Fly-By-Wire.16Jun1139pm.cs (????/----) (0000AC17)