Linux server makes Squeaky sounds. Linux laptop silent.

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Wed Mar 17 11:17:43 UTC 1999

One of my Linux boxes has just started making Squeaky sounds. Thanks to Lex
Spoon and his advice at http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/squeak/sound/ .

My laptop, however is failing to make such sounds. Both are running a similarly
configured RedHat 5.2 Linux. The first system has an SB16 card. The laptop's
configuration looks like this:

$ cat /dev/sndstat
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux tweety 2.0.36 #1 Tue Oct 13 22:17:11 EDT 1998 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: ESS ES1688 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.1)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

When I execute the following Squeak code

MIDIFileReader playURLNamed:
	   'http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/midi/tlmnflut.mid'

I get the following output in my shell terminal window

soundcard format = 16
maxFramesBuffered: 2644    bytesPerPlayFrame: 4    maxBytesBuffered:  21152
maxFragmentsPlaying: 6
overflow by 1 fragments!
ack!  1024 frames left in snd_play, when it should be 0!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!
overflow by 1 fragments!

Any suggestions on resolving this situation? I'm giving a Squeak presentation at
a Chicago Smalltalk User Group meeting next week
(http://www.bobjectsinc.com/cstug/meetann.htm), and would prefer to demo Squeak
on Linux rather than Microsoft Windows 95.

Thanks for your help!
-Mark Schwenk