Linux 2.3 problems

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Thu Mar 4 07:26:36 UTC 1999

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 03:50:21PM -0500, Richard L. Peskin wrote:
> > 1. The "Normal" cursor, the scroll bar between browser panes, the menu icon
> > (scroll region), adn other widgets are not clear. That is, details are not
> > showing up. For example if you move the cursor from the X window background
> > into Squeak, the "arrow" details get fuzzy. This occurs with X running on
> > the system console, but not with a remote X server.
> >
> Bert Freudenberg posted a fix to the list on Tue, 2 Feb 1999:
>
> |Subject: [BUG,FIX] CursorWithMask on X
> |
> |I really wanted to have that nice CursorWithMask but it showed only as a
> |black blob - stColorBlack and stColorWhite were not initialized with RGB
> |triplets (which are needed for 16/32 bpp visuals). A diff is attached.

I'm not quite sure the symptoms described are the ones this fix is for
(it only sets the mouse pointer's color). My guess is that the cursor's
bits are reversed. In sqXWindow.c, in function ioSetCursorWithMask(),
there is a loop reversing bits:

  /*  if (BitmapBitOrder(stDisplay) == LSBFirst)*/
    {
      /* the bytes are always in the right order: swap only bits
        within bytes */
      char *dp= (char *)data;
      char *mp= (char *)mask;
      for (i= 0; i < 32; i++)
	{
	  dp[i]= swapBits(dp[i]);
	  mp[i]= swapBits(mp[i]);
	}
    }

Maybe the test above shouldn't be commented out???

> > 2. More important, the "default" object memory allocation is too small
> > (5m). While this allocation can be changed from the command line (-memory
> > option), how can the default be changed?
> >

> |Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 13:27:33 +0100 (MET)
> |From: Ian Piumarta <Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr>
> |To: markus_kohler at hp.com
> |Subject: Re: Installation help needed (Solaris, Linux)
> |Cc: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
> |
> |> The default memory size that Squeak allocates is a bit low for the
> |> newest version ( we shoudl change that).
> |
> |sqXWindow.c(91): #define DefaultHeapSize (20*1024*1024)  /* 20 megabytes */
> |

> or: set the environment-variable SQUEAK_MEMORY, like (bash):
> export SQEUAK_MEMORY=20m

or, since Ian introduced DefaultHeapSize only recently (J2), modify
it in sqXWindow.c:ParseArguments() ;-)
    initialHeapSize= 20*1024*1024;	/* 20 megabytes by default */

/bert

--
 Bert Freudenberg                                            Department of
                                                            Simulation and