Why so few binary method selectors?

Ward Cunningham ward at c2.com
Tue Mar 16 17:33:25 UTC 1999

Squeakers -- As we list our favorite uses of ? my mind gets to
wondering: why can't we string more than two characters together to make
long binary method names? I could find a use for ===, or <<<, or maybe
even <//>. I always figured that the language designers didn't want the
programs to look like FORTH. Or was it that they had enough custom
glyphs in those early days that they never felt the need?

Anyway, since I enjoy standing at the top of slippery slopes and looking
down, let me ask the group a question. If we could have long binary
method selectors, what would be the first one you would define, and what
would it do? Best regards. -- Ward

--
Ward Cunningham
v 503-245-5633   mailto:ward at c2.com