released: correspondents networking framework 1a2

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Fri Mar 26 18:30:43 UTC 1999

On Fri 26 Mar, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:
> Craig Latta wrote:
>
> > This release uses new networking primitives. The source for
> > them, and a new virtual machine, are included for the Win95 platform.
>
> Could you maybe tell us what the estimated effort would be to port this to
other platf
> orms, or how the new primitives differ from the standard networking
primitives?
I thought I should point out that Craig is on vacation for a few days and so
answers to this important question might seem rather delayed.
I can say that he thought about other platforms whilst designing the code -
there's no way I would let him get away with not doing it, seeing that there is
only a cubicle 'wall' between us! Some of you know how opinionated I am about
portability.... the rest of you are lucky :-)
If works out as well as hoped, the prims should be easy to port to any platform
that can thread and be only a little harder for threadless platforms (like my
Acorn) to handle.

tim

--
Computers talk to each other worse than their designers do.
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)