good, bad, downright ugly

Ian Piumarta Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
Sat Mar 6 17:40:22 UTC 1999

Unix Squeakers,

The good news: I was tidying up a few things and got a little carried away.
I'm writing this message while Squeak on my Linux box plays a stereo bach
fugue.  (And no pthreads, fork()s, or other similar stuff in sight. ;-)

The bad bews: the way OSS works makes insertSamplesLeadBlahBlah impossible
to implement in a platform-independent manner.  (It can be done by using
direct DMA and the trigger stuff, but that works ONLY on Linux and imposes
the sound card's byte order and format on me -- sorry, but I refuse to make
the Unix [remember: Unix > Linux] sound stuff platform and/or sound card
dependent).

The ugly news: the image says I can return 0 from insertSamplesEtc(), so I
do.  Shortly thereafter the SoundPlayer barfs up a subscript bounds error.

Any volunteers to fix the image?  (You'll need Linux and/or the OSS lib [which
is available for Sparcs, Alphas, and maybe some others] to test it.  The
relevant carrot is an avant-premiere of sqUnixSound.c. ;^)

Tchao,

Ian

      n'attends pas qu'ils reviennent - ils ont pris quatre villes dÈjý
n'attends pas qu'ils nous tiennent - mÍme s'ils n'ont pas d'arme, ils sont lý