Browsers

Steve Wart swart at home.com
Mon Mar 15 05:21:58 UTC 1999

This is quite interesting. None of the files seem to have changed since
1996; I suppose the Java folks were not too interested in any competition?
What happened (is happening) with Self? Has anybody built a version of
Squeak without classes? Would this be hard to do?

More importantly, how does the prototyping only approach work out in Self?
Does it lead to hairy programs that are difficult to maintain, as is reputed
to occur in languages that rely on multiple inheritance (never having used
MI myself)? Did the Self project provide fundamental "lessons" that led to a
superior approach in Java, or was a lot of good work done that simply fell
by the wayside?

Pity it only runs on Sun platforms; too rich for my blood.

Steve

  http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/oocsb/self/release/Self-4.0/Tutorial/index.html

-- Jecel