Smalltalk/V 286 (maybe off topic)

John Sarkela sarkela at home.com
Wed Mar 31 15:25:58 UTC 1999

Tom Burns wrote:

> From: rapp at lmr.com [mailto:rapp at lmr.com]
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:06:05 +0000 (GMT), you wrote (with possible
> > editing):
> >
> > >Can someone help me???
> > >I need Smalltalk/V 286. If you know where to find VM and
> > image for this
> > >kind of ST, please tell me.
> > >                                             novo.
> > >Peter.Novak at st.fmph.uniba.sk
> >
> > I believe it's now called "Smalltalk Express" and it's available free
> > at www.objectshare.com.  This may differ somewhat from the original
> > Smalltalk/V 286; YMMV...
>
> Smalltalk Express is the old 16-bit Digitalk Smalltalk V/Win product.  V/286
> is/was the precursor to V/DOS which was the precursor to V/Win.

Actually, V/Dos is just a repackaged version of the original Smalltalk/V.
V/286 followed this by adding support for extended memory. V/Win
used this source base as the starting point of the V/Win VM.

> V/286 runs
> in protected mode on a 286 or higher machine and demands full control over
> expanded memory, meaning that you can't even run EMM386 or other similar
> memory managers alongside V/286.  This also means that V/286 cannot run
> 'under' Win95 - one must clean boot to the DOS shell before V/286 is
> runnable.  I believe V/286 uses the PharLap DOS extender.

Unfortunately, there were no standard DOS extenders when V/286
was produced. Thus, it has a proprietary dos extender that is
incompatible with the later standards that emerged.

> Of course, this does nothing to answer the plea for V/286 (and is probably
> of only marginal interest to most people on the list!).  I don't want to
> give up my copy but would be happy to share if I only had some assurance
> that ObjectShare wouldn't mind my distributing copies of the release disk.

Likewise here.