[BUG] Showing a large file in File List (.changes for example)

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon Mar 29 18:11:19 UTC 1999

Reiner,

My guess would be the amount of free memory needed to load the entire file into the PluggableTextController.

A little experimentation (in 2.3 MVC) on a 6meg change file showed that I needed about 31meg free memory to read the whole thing. After it was successfully loaded, the memory used dropped to 25meg and afer positioning the insertion point somewhere in the text, usage dropped to around 19meg. This final value (3 times the size of the changes file) seems to be the minimum as the PluggableTextController held a copy of the string in "initialText", the Paragraph also held a copy (actually several copies up to the time I made a selection) and the Paragraph requires an Array of TextLineInterval objects at one per line. This last is an overhead of 40+ bytes per line and in my case consumed more memory that a single copy of the string itself.

So, I would recommend increasing Squeak memory so that you have 18 to 20 meg free and try again.

Cheers,
Bob