multilingual Squeak (Re: Must _ go like the Dodo?)

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Tue Mar 16 06:22:55 UTC 1999

  Hi,

> But seriously, we can have our cake and eat it too (Yay!).  No one is
> probably reading this thread anymore, but did anything come of the mentions
> earlier on the list about Unicode?  Now that TrueType fonts are being
> integrated into Squeak perhaps those free non-Roman fonts on the internet
> could be used to make Squeak truly international.  And Unicode has both the
> left arrow (U+2190) and the up arrow (U+2191).  The question of which key
> to press to get these characters is secondary (I vote for CTRL-ALT-DELETE
> for _ )

  This could be another source of the frame, but I want to
say that Unicode is almost useless for 'internationalization'
and 'multilingualization'.  It is just a compromized way to
'localization' easier.

  As for m18n, the way Mule and Emacs 20 use provides a good
suggestion.

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology