WANTED: Docs on Squeak garbage collection algorithms

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Tue Mar 16 23:18:43 UTC 1999

If your search needs are complex, you may find the Regular Expression engine plugin helpful.  It permits string searches for full Perl-Style regular expressions, and is based on a fairly fast (albeit Traditional NFA) matching engine coded in C.  Plugins are now available for Mac PPC, Wintel and HP-UX, and ports are fairly straightforward.  I didn't put much thought into it, but you could search the sourcefiles, for example, chunk by chunk, with the following:

	s _ SourceFiles at: 1.
	s position: 1.
	[s atEnd not] 		whileTrue: [
			(m _ (s nextChunk asString) reMatch: '[+-]\s*[48]' opt:'i')
			ifNotNil: [
				Transcript show: (m searchString)]]

(I wasn't tracking the thread, so I couldn't construct the regexp to suit your needs except with respect to the examples in the note.  The regex above is intended as an example only.)  As noted, the above was just an illustrative hack: you'd likely want to instrument the code to report more useful information, perhaps in places other than Transcript.

The RePlugin documentation and materials can be found at:

	http://www.gate.net/~werdna/RePlugin.html